Thursday, May 13, 2010

Internet Etiquette

or Netiquette (“network etiquette”)

I remember the day instant messenger entered my life. I was 13 and I ran home from school to sign on and chat with the friends I had just seen 20 minutes earlier. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Our generation is the last to know life without the Internet and one day we’ll be telling stories of 'the days of dial-up'. It’s hard to believe how much public forums can play apart in our lives but here I am blogging away.

And what about getting asked out over the Internet? I'm not even talking about dating sites, I'm talking Facebook. A guy sees you at a party and he may or may not talk to you that night but you go home to find the 'friend request'. A few weeks later he starts to respond to status updates and you realize something is up. Eventually, you receive the private message regarding the 'hang out'. I'm not going to lie, it's flattering.

"While the Internet has made connecting with people easier, it has also made us lazier at establishing meaningful relationships. If you’re over 18 and you’re still using Facebook applications to let someone know you’re interested in them, you need to be punched in the face." (The Art of Manliness)

Me and my siblings in our token Mac picture.

*How to Respond to a Facebook invite.

*Even our go-to girl for proper etiquette Emily Post knows a thing or two about Netiquette.


[Insert your choice of Emoticon]

No comments:

Post a Comment